The pesqueres or fisheries are small distinctive constructions that are built on the south and east banks of the Lake on top of the water. They have been declared Cultural Assets of National Interest, in the Historical Garden category, by the Government of Catalonia.
They were built by members of the Banyoles bourgeoisie between the mid-19th century and 1931, when the Town Council of Banyoles prohibited further construction. Initially, the fisheries had a purely practical purpose and were used, as their name indicates, for fishing and for storing fishing implements.
Originally simple structures, they became more sophisticated as time went by. Their owners started to enlarge them as a symbol of social and financial standing: to enable one or two boats to moor and have access to the water for bathing, they added a walkway and steps and, in some cases, they were even refitted so that people could stay there.
Some are built in the noucentista architectural style in vogue in the early 20th century, others imitate medieval constructions, while yet others have a very simple square-shaped floor plan and plain interiors.
Today, they are held in community ownership as municipal property, but with private concessions. Some fisheries can be visited with a guided tour but most are for private use and can only be seen from outside. The exception is Fishery number 10 (Pesquera d’en Lero), which has been repurposed as the municipal Tourist Information Office.
In total, there are 20 fisheries, each one with its own name:
16- D’en Malagelada
14- Santa Rosa
10- D’en Lero
7- Del Rector
18- La Guardiola
17- La Perla
19Y- La Carpa d’Or
21- La Cala
(ordered by their location on the Lake, from south to east, from the site known as the Desmais (Weeping Willows) to the Caseta de Fusta)