Santa Maria dels Turers is one of the main churches in Banyoles and an early example of Catalan Gothic architecture, consisting of a central nave with a heptagonal apse.
Construction began in the late 13th-early 14th century, and was highly influenced by French Gothic architecture. Considered early Gothic, one of its unusual features is the use of former Romanesque procedures and forms, and the techniques used by the old quarriers and stone carvers.
Its structure has undergone many changes. Initially, it was a single nave with four ceiling sections supported on parallel beams. The apse and the first section follow this first idea, but the rest of the nave goes back to the construction solutions of the Romanesque period, maintaining the system of rib vaults, in a combination of Gothic and Romanesque styles.
The choir dates from 1570, the north aisle is from the 17th-18th centuries, the south aisle from the 19th century, as also the neoclassical portico on the west façade. The bell tower consists of three levels of bell gables, with openings for two bells in each level. This type of bell tower is very typical of the Romanesque churches of the Pla de l’Estany.
Subsequently, the two side aisles were built between the 17th and 19th centuries. The apse is semi-decagonal, with seven windows. The neogothic polychrome stained glass is recent, dating from the mid-20th century. The Gothic portal was originally on the south wall but it was moved to the apse area in 1864. It consists of pointed arches and a tympanum with 14th-century murals on the theme of the crucifixion.
The name Santa Maria dels Turers is an evolution of the old name, as it used to be called “del Turario” (“Turó” meaning “hill” in Catalan).
Location: Plaça de Santa Maria, 6.